Vows

As the wedding day gets closer and closer, I have been thinking a lot about the words exchanged at the alter - the vows.

Nowadays I know most people write their own, which to be honest, I've never been a real fan of. No hate if that's what you did though. I tend to be an old soul and I always loved the idea of repeating the words already written, years and years ago. When Missouri Man and I began talking about marriage, we both said that we didn't want to have to write our own. What was jotted down years ago has worked, and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I did a quick Google search for "traditional wedding vows" and these are the ones that came up:

"I, (brides' name), take thee, (husbands' name), to be my wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and obey, till death do us part, according to God's holy ordinance -- and thereto I give thee my troth."

Isn't that just beautiful? We don't even use the word, "troth" anymore, do we? We should in my book because it's beautiful and has deep meaning.  

I then had to Google the word "vow" and Websters 1828 Dictionary says this:

1. A solemn promisemade to God, or by a person to his deity. The Roman generals when they went to war, sometimes made a vow that they would build a temple to some favorite deity, if he would give them victory. A vow is a promise of something to be given or done hereafter. 

2.  A solemn promise; as the vows of unchangeable love and fidelity. In a moral and religious sense, vows are promises to God, as they appeal to God to witness their sincerity, and the violation of them is a most heinous offense. 

Numbers 30:2 says, "If a man vow a vow unto the LORD, or swear an oath to bind his soul with a bond; he shall not break his word, he shall do according to all that proceedeth out of his mouth."

Over the years, I think I've probably read these vows more times than I can count. In a very short period of time though, I will be promising, literarily vowing my all to my soon-to-be-husband. And as I think over these deeply important words, I realize just how profound they are. It's serious. This isn't just something to repeat back, it's something that must be lived out - no matter the circumstances. And if that isn't a wake up call, I don't know what is. 

As a flawed human, I am incredibly selfish. Reading over those words, I see that there is no room for selfishness in a marriage; there can't be, right? You give 100% to that person. And yes, I am not married yet therefore I don't understand living that out with a spouse. That being said, I can learn now, in small ways, even beforehand despite not being joined together with my husband. 

Maybe you have heard the phrase, "Love is blind but marriage is the eye opener." My mom has said that to  me many times. It never came from a place from a place of disregard or bitterness, but of reality.

I've also heard it said that "This is the easy part - what comes next reveals who you really are." 

Not gonna lie, that makes me nervous, lol! I don't like messing up or failing anyone. But that comes naturally, doesn't it, living in a fallen world as a sinner? It's a guarantee that we are going to fall short.

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;" Romans 3:23

As I begin this new chapter, which I am SO excited for, I need to remember to have grace. Missouri Man is such a blessing to me and reminds me of that frequently. Have grace for yourself and for others. This is all of our first times living this life. 


Cheers, everyone! The next time I post on here (which may be a while), I will be a WIFE!

Praise the Lord for His good gifts!!











Comments

Popular Posts