"....more than my necessary food."

I know that I just posted yesterday, but I've been working on this post for weeks and I'm just now getting to post it.  

What does that mean?  More than my necessary food?  Well, let's look at a few different Bible translations of Job chapter 23, verse 12a.

KJV - "...I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food."

NKJV - "...I have treasured the words of His mouth More (not sure why this word has a capital letter) than my necessary food."

YLT - "...Above my allotted portion I have laid up The sayings of His mouth."

The Young's Translation is one of my favorites in this case.


חֹק - Choq (necessary) means "limit". 



This (and a past Sunday's sermon) really hit home for me.  His Word is to be more satisfying than that of my daily portion of food.  Wow.  

I know that I'm not the only one who struggles with this.  Food is good.  It makes you feel better when you are having any kind of emotion.  Sad, mad, happy, glad, upset, the list goes on and on really. However, isn't God supposed to fill those places? Food will one day fade away.  He will not.  Food goes bad; it molds and spoils.  He never spoils.  He is El Olam - the Everlasting God, the God of Eternity, the God of the Universe, and the God of Ancient Days.  He is El Shaddai - All-Sufficient One, Lord God Almighty. 
Why is this so hard to understand, or rather, why is this truth so easily forgotten?  Why can't I seem to grasp the fact that I don't need that extra serving?  Why can't I just say "no thank you"?  Because in my mind I (selfishly) think that this temporary thing will satisfy me, and it will, but not for very long. 

Satisfy means "to fill, be full"

"O satisfy us early with thy mercy; that we may rejoice and be glad all our days." Psalm 90:14

"So two or three cities wandered unto one city, to drink water; but they were not satisfied: yet have ye not returned unto me, saith the LORD." Amos 4:8

"Hell and destruction are never full; so the eyes of man are never satisfied." Psalm 27:20


God made us dependent upon Him.  We need God and we will never fully rest until we've given Him back the reins.  Even with all the comforts that life offers, we will never be 100% satisfied with them in the end.  Why?  Because they aren't lasting.  They are temporal and all things of this world will fade away.

"Jehovah is my shepherd, I do not lack." Psalm 23:1

He is everything.  He is all you need.  Oh Lord how I need Thee!  I need Thee every hour.

I understand that there are days when things just don't go well (like most days for me), but that doesn't mean that you should fill that emptiness with food.  God is to fill every inch of us! 

"Thou art my portion, O LORD..." Psalm 119:57 I read this the other day and I was taken back - in a very good way!

In His Ever Filling Spirit, ~Sarah

Lord, I offer up my food to the One who has blessed me with it.  Show me the amount I am to take and no more. Amen













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2015 The Literary Heroine Blog Party

New moth, new verse

"What God hath joined..." Part 1