Literary Heroine Blog Party

Hey ya'll, 
If you've been following my blogging, then you would have read/seen this post.  Here are (as promised) my answers to these Questions . :-)  Have fun reading through them; there are a lot! 




1. Introduce yourself! Divulge your life's vision, likes, dislikes, aspirations, or something completely random!
Hi!  My name is Sarah - though, "could you please call me Cordelia?"  
I enjoy baking, crocheting, knitting, running (though I'm not really that fast), dancing ("even when one's partner is barely tolerable."), teaching Sunday school (this truly is a JOY), spending time with my family, and READING! Something random? I've always wanted a cool, clever nick-name. But with my name, one never really stuck.   
My life vision?  The highest calling of honor there is - to be wife and mother.  

If you know me at all, then you know that I quote Anne of Green Gables and Pride & Prejudice quite often, hence the quotes. ;-) 

2. What, to you, forms the essence of a true heroine? 
She is a gentle and graceful creature.  She is someone who, when she opens her mouth, sings songs of Praise to her Maker, even during the hardest times of her life.  When the storm is raging, her spirit and faith are calm.  Her words are softer than a newborns skin and yet she has the strength to move mountains.  Proverbs 31:10-31 is my ultimate heroine.  


3. Share (up to) four heroines of literature that you most admire and relate to. 
 I believe I relate to Anne Surely,and Elizabeth Bennet the most... 

     





And I admire most ardently, Margret Hale.






4. Five of your favorite historical novels? 

  1. North and South 
  2. Pride & Prejudice 
  3. The Count of Monte Cristo, 
  4. Little Women 
  5. Keturah and Lord Death



5. Out of those five books who is your favorite main character and why? 
Marmee from Little Women.  This quote is just one reason why I adore Marmee.
"I gave my best to the country I love, kept my tears till he was gone.  Why should I complain, when we both have merely done our duty and will surely be the happier for it in the end?  If I don't seem to need help, it is because I have a better friend, even than Father, to comfort and sustain me.  My child, the troubles and temptations of your life are beginning and may be many, but you can overcome and outlive them all if you learn to feel the strength and tenderness of your Heavenly Father as you do that of your earthly one.  The more you love and trust Him, the nearer you will feel to Him, and the less you will depend on human power and wisdom.  His love and care never tire or change, can never be taken from you, buy may become the source of lifelong peace, happiness, and strength.  Believe this heartily, and go to God with all your little cares, and hopes, and sins, and sorrows, as freely and confidently as you come to your mother." 





6. Out of those five books who is your favorite secondary character and why? 
Lord Death from Keturah and Lord Death.  Some will say that he wasn't the best part of the book, but he was in my mind.  He's mysterious, handsome (even though the book really doesn't describe his features that much), and just so...*sighs* you just need to read the book. 




7. If you were to plan out your dream vacation, where would you travel to - and what would you plan to do there? 
I've been blessed with two amazingly wonderful, God-given parents who gave all their children (and I count this one of my dream vacations) a trip to Italy!  It was one of the most - if no the most exciting trips of my life.  But if I had to plan another one...where to go, where to go?  Ah!  I have always thought that traveling the Oregon Trail would be not only fun, but really educational.  That, or travel to Europe and explore old castle's with just a a few candle's and my Knight.  Maybe swing by Pemberley (the real name is Lyme Park) while I'm in England as well. *winks*


8. What is your favorite time period and culture to read about? 

 Time period would have to be the 17th and 18th century. My favorite culture to read about would have to be Biblical and American History.  Does that count?


9. You have been invited to perform at the local charity concert. Singing, comedy, recitation - what is your act comprised of? 

Singing and dancing - mostly dancing for me because I think I could break a mirror with my voice, and that's NOT a complement!  Then I would choose a seance from one of my all-time favorite musicals, "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers".  Then the seance I would pick to preform would be "Goin' Courtin'''.  It's clean, funny and 100% entertaining!


10. If you were to attend a party where each guest was to portray a heroine of literature, who would you select to represent? 

Surely it would have to be miss Margret Hale from North and South.  This was my most recent read and it is now my most treasured!  I love her wit and bravery.  Plus, she waited over 3 years for her someone...talk about a slow burn.



11. What are your sentiments on the subject of chocolate? 
It must be dark (like 70%), and with peanut butter. Now, do you have any on you right now that you are willing to share with me? *winks*



12. Favorite author(s)?

C.S. Lewis, Elisabeth Elliot, Jane Austen, Elizabeth Gaskell (my new favorite author); just to name a few.  



13. Besides essentials, what would you take on a visiting voyage to a foreign land?
I don't think that I am adventurous enough to just go off to a foreign land.  But if I was adventurous, the things I would take would be: my husband (if I am married by then; if not, then maybe a willing sister would volunteer), my Bible, a good camera, lots of note books and journals, colored pens, bottled water, and sweet potato chips. :-) 

14. In which century were most of the books you read written? 
The 19th and 20th century.



15. In your opinion, the ultimate hero in literature is… 
To be fair, I've not read all of literature.  So I would have to pick a hero from a book I've already read and so, I choose Abbe` Faria, from the Count of Monte Christo.  He helps Edmond Dantes in all areas of his life and points him in the Right direction.  He helps Edmond overcome his hate for the man who betrayed him.


16. Describe your ideal dwelling place. 
A comfortable home with a library, fireplace, kitchen, and bathroom!  Outside I would LOVE to have my own garden so that I could plant and grow my own food. :-)  Pretty simple.

17. Sum up your fashion style in a short sentence.
Modest, affordable, elegant (I like to think that I dress elegantly), and comfortable!

18. Have you ever wanted to change a character’s name? 
In a book or a movie?  I guess it doesn't matter.  Ummm, no I don't think I'd want to change a character's name.  I say that because once you've read about that certain person, their name has become who they are - whether it be a nice name like John Thornton or a silly name like Fanny Price (I'm not a fan of the name Fanny, but I would never dream of changing it!).  That is who they are and I don't think I could live with myself knowing that I changed the name of Elizabeth Bennet.  You see?

19. In your opinion, the most dastardly villain of all literature is...
The one who comes to mind is the Count de Morcerf, a.k.a Fernand Mondego, from The Count of Monte Cristo.  He had such an evil hate and jealously for his only friend that it ruled his life, and in the end, killed him.  

20. Three favorite Non-fiction books? 

  1. The Holy Bible
  2. Let Me Be A Women
  3. Passion & Purity

21. Your duties met for the day, how would you choose to spend a carefree summer afternoon? 
By reading a good book, soaking up the sun (with some form of sun-protection, of course!), talking a walk by a river (that may sound a little far-fetched, but hey!), or by simply doing nothing.  Those moments are rare indeed. 

22. Create a verbal sketch of your dream hat - in such a way as will best portray your true character. 
This is hard for me.  Let's see...
I like wide-brimmed hats, so something that I could wear to the Kentucky Derby.  It would be classic and bright; with touches of soft pink and purple.  Something kinda like this:  





23. Share the most significant event(s) that have marked your life in the past year. 
God brought me to it; then He brought me through it.  There has been SO much that has happened in the past year - so very, very much.  There IS good news about that though:   God is good.  He always has been and will always will be good.  I can rest in knowing that.



24. Share the Bible passage(s) that have been most inspiring to you recently.
"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

"O praise the LORD, all ye nations: praise him, all ye people.  For his merciful kindness is great towards us: and the truth of the LORD endureth forever. Praise ye the LORD." Psalm 117

"Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10

"Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that you should go and bring forth fruit" John 15:16

I hope that ya'll enjoyed this, for I certainly writing them down - well, typing them down. :p

Come join the fun!  Click here

Blessings in His Holy Name,
Sarah


Comments

  1. Dark chocolate is my favorite too, but without the peanut butter;) Your dream hat is gorgeous-it looks like spring! I adore Seven Brides for Seven Brothers!! Adam is *adorable*-with or without his beard??:) I'm so glad I found your amazing blog! I'll definitely be visiting more often!!
    {Emma}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emma for the sweet comment. :-)
      There are just some things in life that we can't live without, and I think one of those things is dark chocolate. :-) Yes, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers - one of the best! All the Pontipee men look good with or without the beards! But honestly, I like them better without. ;-) My two favorites are Ben and Frank. :-)
      Thank you again for the sweet comment! Do you have a blog?

      Delete
    2. Definitely! I like them without too:) Adam and Ben are my favorites:) Yes! I have two! emmasfunplace.blogspot.com and picturethisbyemma.blogspot.com
      {Emma}

      Delete
  2. "Hi! My name is Sarah - though, 'could you please call me Cordelia?'" I laughed when I first read this! I should read Anne of Green Gables again :-)
    Your blog and answers are lovely. And Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is one of my all time favorite :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eva!
      I have used that line many, many times! Isn't it a fun one?
      Thank you! This blog party has been SO much fun! :-)

      Delete
    2. Indeed! I'm so glad Kellie put together this party :-)

      Delete
    3. Same here. I have found so many new blogs to follow through this party!

      Delete
  3. I love Seven Brides for Seven Brothers! I sing Going Courtin' all the time! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too! My brothers even like Seven Brides for Seven Brothers! :-)

      Delete
  4. Loved it! I've almost never met someone else who likes Seven Brides for Seven Brothers! So glad. :) God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! We, lovers of that musical are few and far between; it is blog parties like this one that bring us all together. ;-)

      Delete
  5. I love the Abbe Faria! Great choice for a hero. He's so intriguing, and I wish we got to know more about his past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hamlette, I quite agree! I too, wish that there was more written of his back round.

      Delete
  6. I love Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I think my favorite song is "Bless Your Beautiful Hide". Seems like Adam Pontipee beat Michael Buble to the punch by about 200 years. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna, again I quite agree. That movie is such a classic and it is rear to find people (especially young people) who thoroughly enjoy it. :-)
      I like Michael Buble`, he's got an older style that's refreshing to see; however, the Pontipee's are much, much better! :)

      Delete
  7. I love Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. :) It's not my absolute favorite musical (that would be Singin' in the Rain), but it's one of the first I ever watched, and I love the songs and dancing and the humor. :)

    I'm also not fond of the name Fanny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Singin' in the Rain because it's a classic - it is not my favorite, but I'll pick a classic over a redo "classic" any day. :-)

      Same here with the name Fanny. I don't think I could ever name my daughter that! lol However, it is fun to say Fanny with a British accent. :p

      Delete
  8. Lots of posts I'm reading from the Blog Party are mentioning The Count of Monte Cristo and Anne of Green Gables. I love the Count but I've never read Anne of Green Gables before. I know, I know. It's a classic. But it was never on my radar when I was younger. I'll have to add it to my growing list of books to check out from these blogs.

    I've never heard of Keturah and Lord Death. What kind of book is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that The Count of Monte Cristo is surfacing more and more in the book-world. :-) The book is amazing and WAY better than the movie - even though I really enjoy Jim Caviezel as an actor.

      Ketturah and Lord Death is such a good book, though it is geared more towards the younger crowd. It's a fiction book and based back in the medieval times. It is about love, Death, life and lasting friendships. Google it. It's one of my absolute favorites!

      Delete
  9. I really enjoyed reading your answers! And am thrilled to discover yet another N&S fan. :-) Margaret is wonderful... Also Count of Monte Cristo. And I'll have to check out Keturah and Lord Death. It sounds most intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heidi, I am glad that you enjoyed reading through my answers for I really enjoyed putting this whole thing together to share. :-)
    And yes, North and South...*sighs*...one of the best romance books I've ever read - if not the most romantic. :-) Margaret is lovely, but I have to be honest, John Thornton was absolutely wonderful! ;-)
    Yes, Keturah and Lord Death. Google it. It is geared more to the younger crowd, but still a very good book that NEEDS to be a mini series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to checking it out! Also, I wasn't sure if you'd see it right away, but I just left a comment for you on "I Have to Give it All?"

      Delete
  11. Yes, I did see the comment. :-) Thank you for that, and the blog follow! I started following you as well and look forward to reading more posts. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What a Friend We Have in Jesus - Hymn for May

The in-between

2015 The Literary Heroine Blog Party