2015 The Literary Heroine Blog Party

Good morning, blog family!  I am SO happy to share the questions to Kellie's fun, and creative blog party!  

I did this last year, and if you would like to read my answers, please click here.

<<<---Don't you just love this part in the movie?  I cry every time! :p









I am composing/answering these questions with what read in 2014.  Next year it'll be with what I've read this year.  :) 
Here are the questions and my answers. :)  Enjoy!  



1. Introduce yourself! Divulge your life's vision, likes dislikes, aspirations, or something completely random!
Well hello!  My name is Sarah and this is my second year attending Kellie's online party.  The first year was SO much fun I just had to come back for more!  My life's vision is to honor and glorify my Savoir and King with everything that I say, think and do.  As I pray that part of God's will for me will include marriage and children, I am finding the grace and glory that comes with waiting on His perfect timing.  "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities." (2 Corinthians 12:9) 

2. What, to you, forms the essence of a true heroine?
A true heroine to me is a Proverbs 31 woman. 

Sapphire Adi.





3. Share (up to) four heroines of literature that you most admire and relate to.
Last year I shared three ladies: Anne Surely; Elizabeth Bennet, and Margaret Hale.
My picks this year are:  
1. Sapphira Adi from Bryan Davis'  The Eye of the Oracle.
2. Kira from Lois Lowry's Gathering Blue
3.  Keturah from the book, Keturah and Lord Death
4. Ashley Stallworth from Bryan Davis' series, Dragons in Our Midst
(all great reads, mind you!)







4. Five of your favorite historical novels?
1. The Martyr of the Catacombs
2. Keturah and Lord Death 
3.  To Have and to Hold
4.  Tuck Everlasting
5. The Magic of Ordinary Days
(If you can call any of them "historical!")


5. Out of those five books who is your favorite major character and why?
Marcellus from The Martyr of the Catacombs.  I picked him because I also relate to his character.  I cannot tell you every little thing that happened because then it would spoil the story.  I picked him because his faith and devotion are something truly wonderful!  I highly recommend it - you shan't be disappointed.  

6. Out of those five books who is your secondary character and why?
Ralph Percy from To Have and to Hold.  His devotion to his wife is truly wonderful and encouraging.  I actually found out about this book from last year's party and it has become a definite favorite!   Can't wait to find more treasures! :)

The Dead Sea.
7. If you were to plan your dream vacation, where would you travel to - and what would you plan to do there?
My dream vacation would be to visit the Holy Lands...and/or float in the Dead Sea!  What I would like to do in the Holy Lands is take a tour of all the places Jesus walked - can you imagine? I believe that that would be very emotional and powerful.






8. What is your favorite time period and culture to read about?
After reading The Hunger Games and the Divergent trilogies,  I've to come to the conclusion that I prefer books that take place back in time - like the 17th, 18th, or 19th century.  Culture?  Any kind, really.  While I enjoyed The Hunger Games and Divergent, I realized that "futuristic" books are not my thing, and that's okay. :)  I just prefer the old stuff is all.  :)

9. You have been invited to preform at the local charity concert.  Singing, comedy, recitation, tap dancing...what is your act comprised of?
Well, seeing as how I enjoy square dancing, I would plan to put together a little performance  of me and my brothers and sisters dancing for the guests to enjoy.  We would dance to oldies and even dress the part!

I always wanted to wear this dress!
10. If you were to attend a party where each guest was to portray a heroine of literature, who would you select to represent?
Last year I chose Margret Hale from Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South.  This year I think I'll go with Anne Surely from the classic, Anne of Green Gables.  The dress she wore to Diana Berry's wedding was so elegant and timeless!  I wanted SO badly to own and wear it!!

11.  Favorite author(s)?
C.S. Lewis, Elisabeth Elliot, Elizabeth Gaskell, Jane Austen, Ted Dekker, Nancy Leigh DeMoss, Charles H. Spurgeon, Mary Johnston, and Bryan Davis, Lois Lowry, and Sir Author Cannon Doyle.  I'm sure they'll be more next time. :p

12. In which century were most of the books you read written?
Same as last year: the 19th and 20th century. 

13. In your opinion, the ultimate hero in all literature is...
Out of what I've read in the past year, I would have to pick (without any hesitation) Marcellus.  I cannot stress enough how much his faith inspires my own walk with God.

14. In your opinion, the dastardly villain of all literature is...
Out of all the books I've read this past year, I would have to pick President Snow from the Hunger Games.  

15.  Describe your ideal dwelling place.
If there's one thing I feel like God continues to teach me, it is about dwellings.  What they and what they aren't.  For the past 7 years I have been "fighting" with God on what an actual dwelling is.  To me it's a house with four walls, a roof, a kitchen and bedrooms.  But it's so much more than that.  It is where He is.  Let's face it, our homes can't come with us when He calls us to His Ultimate Dwelling.  I know that deep down but I have a hard time letting it sink in.  What I have now is so much more than what most have - or could even hope to have.  The word "content" keeps surfacing in my life...like a lot and I know it's because God is still teaching me what that truly means.  Today, right now my ideal dwelling place is where He is present: everywhere.  In a house, hut, hill, or den, He is there with me and I must be content with it because, it could be much less.
"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." Philippians 4:11 
Click here to read more.

16. Sum up your fashion style in a short sentence. 
Pretty much the same as last year.  Comfy, modest, classic, and affordable! 




 17. Three favorite non-fiction books?
1. The Holy Bible 
2. The Martyr of the Catacombs 
3. Alone Yet Not Alone

18. You're duties met for the day, how would you choose to spend a carefree summer afternoon?
Relaxing, reading a good book, horseback riding, sunning myself (with sunscreen of course!), or baking something yummy to eat - it would have to be gluten, dairy, and egg free!

19. Create a verbal sketch of your dream hat - in such a way as will best portray your true character.
Let's see...something simple yet dramatic; wide-brimmed and with earth -toned colors.  Either of the bottom two:  



20. Share the most significant event(s) that have marked your life in the past year.
Well, for one my brother, Timothy got married and my other brother, Joseph will be getting married as well!!  Two weddings within the year!  Such a blessing and a treat.  Two new sisters - God is SO good! :)  Also, I've been blessed with a "pen-pal" (who I also "met" through this party), Heidi who blogs over at Along the Brandywire

21. Share the Bible passage(s) that have been most inspiring to you recently.
"Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him, and he shall bring it to pass. And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday. Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass. Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil." Psalm 37:4-8

"From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I." Psalm 61:2

I cannot tell you, Kellie, how much I have enjoyed answering these questions and attending these parties!  I look forward to this every year

Enjoy everyone!  

~Sarah

Comments

  1. I remember reading Tuck Everlasting a long, long time ago and really liking it :-)

    I also prefer books that take place in the past, or even the present, to futuristic ones. With a few exceptions, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuck Everlasting is one of the sweetest books I've read in a long time! I wish it was a little longer though. :)

      I guess I like books that are older because I know that at some point in history (in some way), they happened. Does that make any sense?

      Delete
    2. I like the concreteness of knowing things could have happened this way, even if they're fictional. And I love love love learning about how people lived in different times from mine, what their lives were like, how they dealt with things.

      Delete
    3. Very true! While I enjoyed reading the Hunger Games, I can enjoy North and South better because that time period happened, you know? Maybe that sounds really odd. :p

      Delete
  2. It was so fun reading your answers!:)

    C. S. Lewis and Elizabeth Gaskell! <3

    Tuck Everlasting is a good book--but I have a feeling if I reread it now, I'd be blubbering in tears at the end =) Ooh, "The Magic of Ordinary Days" is a book?! Don't know why I didn't know that, but I must read it sometime:)

    You're gluten, dairy, and egg-free? My mom is gluten-free, and I'm semi-dairy-free, so I'll have to check out your cooking blog!:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Arwen! I loved reading through your answers as well. :)

      Yes, Miss Gaskell...what can I say other than she's like the best! :)

      Tuck Everlasting is SO good! I actually watched the movie before I read the book (which normally I do NOT do!). The ending is just....oh you must give it a read! And yes, The Magic of Ordinary Days is a book! I watched that movie before I read the book as well - though to be fair, I didn't know it WAS a book. It reminds me of the book "Love Comes Softly", have you read it?

      Yes, I'm a lot of things "free". Right now, I'm only eating Paleo (trying to heal some things). :) Thanks again for the sweet comment!

      Delete
  3. This is an enjoyable read Sarah! You gave me some books to look up. :D Also, the passage from Psalm 37 you chose is one of my very favorite scriptures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paige! I enjoyed reading your answers as well. :) I've also written down some of the books you mentioned and have added them to my 2015 reading list (I am currently reading for the first time, Cranford.)

      Psalm 37 is certainly touching to my heart - I'm glad that it blessed you as well. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm new to your blog! I love it muchly!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello dear Sarah! What a great JOY to meet you through this delightful blog party, my dear!!
    I was SO excited to see your sweet comment pop up on my dashboard...:). And to discover you are a wonderful sister in Christ blesses me greatly! I hope to blog with you much more in the future and spend many pleasant moments reading your lovely blog! I just love how devoted you are to our Lord and King - through your writing I can see how you desire to be close to Him and thus I have been encouraged in my walk of faith!
    Thank you so much and oh! I just looooved your answers to these questions as well!
    Hugs to you and lots of love!
    Kelly-Anne (with an 'E'!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO excited to have found another "kindred spirit!" I do love these parties and how they bring us sisters in Christ together! Thank you for the encouragement as well.
      I too, was delighted to see your comment on my post "Seasoned with hope" - it made my morning! :)
      For His Glory,
      Sarah Anne with an "e" ;)

      Delete
  6. All your answers are lovely, but I say a special amen to your answers about your dream home. Amen and amen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your answer to the "what forms a true heroine" question. I don't think I could find a more admirable woman than her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah,
    To Have and to Hold is one of my very favorite books as I love the swashbuckling time period and the entire story is so wonderful and romantic, besides which the fact that Captain Percy is truly near perfection!

    Your charity concert performance is lovely! When I answered my questions I had not really thought of that, but now that you mention the idea I would most likely do a dance with my next younger sister. :)

    I have been doing Paleo (with a bit of dairy) off and on for a while now, (I mainly do it because I like playing around with different health related things---hence on/off :)), but I love how good eating that way can make one feel! Have you been eating paleo for awhile?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eowyn,
      To Have and to Hold has become a treasured classic in my home - with the girls that is! I found out about this lovely book through Kellie's party last year. Captain Percy's compassion and mercy in the end of the book brought me to tears!

      I'm glad that you enjoyed my little bit about square dancing! We had to take a break from it (work became too intense), but hope to (someday) get back into it!

      I've been eating Paleo since last June and it has helped me SO much! I enjoy simplicity of the diet (or rather, lifestyle) and I've come to see that I have way more energy than I did before! Do you have a favorite Paleo dish?

      Delete
    2. Sarah,
      Hmm... Favorite dish... Most of them have eggs or are just too... wholesome and everyday-ish to be termed a favorite treat... But no! I have it! One of my favorite food blogs Lauren's at Empowered Sustance and I love her Dairy and Egg-Free Strawberry Mousse (it can be found at http://empoweredsustenance.com/dairy-and-egg-freestrawberry-mousse/) Mine turned out a little less "pretty" than hers, but it was still utterly delicious! I hope you can try it! Do you have a favorite food blog? And a favorite dish?

      Delete
    3. Eowyn,
      The recipe you shared sounds delicious - I may have to try it sometime! :) I get a lot of my recipes/inspiration from Pinterest, but one site I visit often is www.purelytwins.com They have a lot of dishes that I am able to make for myself. One of my absolute favorite sweets is this: http://paleogrubs.com/fruit-pizza-recipe It it amazingly wonderful!!

      Delete
  9. (Margaret and Anne both making their appearance on our posts???!!! ;) We are kindred spirits. ;)) And I love all your pictures!

    Keturah and Lord Death has actually been on my To Read list for a while and it's now bumping to the top....but it looks like I'll need to purchase it as our library doesn't have it. :(

    Also, To Have and To Hold is SO sweet! Did you read the original (the same cover as you pictured)? That's the one I love. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Great minds think alike." :) I'm actually typing out your email now...

      I cannot wait your thoughts on Keturah and Lord Death! :D Our library doesn't carry it anymore, I just bought a used copy off of Amazon. If you can find one with the picture of "The Kiss", I highly recommend getting that one! It's just better!

      The cover of my copy of To Have and to Hold is blue and grey. I wanted the older cover, but the book was quite expensive. Someday I'd like to get the original though... :)

      Delete
  10. I don't mind futuristic stories, but not a fan of dystopian. And I definitely enjoy historicals! :) Also, I know nothing about Bryan Davis' work, so I shall seek out info. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kara for the comment! Bryan Davis has some wonderful books! I've been reading them for years (10 actually) and I absolutely love them!

      Delete
  11. Loved the heart you put into your answers, Sarah. Your thoughts on the ''dwelling'' question are truly so wise and deep. I, too, would like to visit Israel some day. So enjoyed reading your answers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New moth, new verse

When I Survey the Wondrous Cross - Hymn for July