Musical beings

My pastor has said that we are musical beings.  It's just how God has made us.

I always thought that there was something wrong with me for getting emotional during certain songs or when hearing certain instruments being played (for me it's the piano, violin, and cello).  I would sit at our computer and just cry over the tunes that these voices/instruments would produce and wonder what on earth was wrong with me.  But ever since I heard a sermon a while ago about God creating us to be creatures of a song/music, I have had a different (better) view of this and feel more confident about it - not proud or boastful, but confident in the Lord and His Word.

Psalm 150:3,4 Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.
Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

Do any of you ladies (or gentlemen) enjoy The Paino Guys?  I do!  I adore their "remakes" of certain songs/hymns.  In fact, my sister-in-law, Alissa had her attendance walk down the aisle to A Thousand Years and it literally took my breath away.  Not only was I crying my eyes out, I was also in awe of how a song (I prefer The Paino Guy's version much better than the ordinal) could strike such emotion in me, even when there were no words!

Psalm 68:25 The singers went before, the players on instruments followed after; among them were the damsels playing with timbrels.

A song that can make me cry any time is Amazing Grace - especially if it's played by the bagpipes. And I think that I tend to weep during this song because when my grandfather died, he had the honor that not many receive to be buried in the Arlington National Cemetery for his service to this country during WWII.  He was a POW (Prisoner of War).  And when they played the Taps, I lost it.  It was the rawness of the bugler, the bitterness of the day (it was rainy and freezing!), the sound of the 21 gun salute, and the emotion of losing my precious grandfather that brought the tears.  Even now as I write this, tears prick my eyes and I find it hard to swallow them back.  I don't voluntarily listen to that song because of how it grips me.  Again, no words and yet so much power through a song.

Isaiah 38:20 The LORD was ready to save me: therefore we will sing my songs to the stringed instruments all the days of our life in the house of the LORD.


My sister was telling me about this amazing video she saw on YouTube the other day and how it touched her deeply to hear these people sing.  I encourage you to listen to the short video - the story is truly inspirational!  I got goosebumps all over while watching it.  The emotion behind the voices; the pain, the happiness, the joy of being heard.

Ehp 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Even though I've never read Les Miserables (it's on my to-read list!), Michael Ball's Empty Chairs and Empty Tables fills me with wonder each time I listen to it.  My sister, Abigail and myself love listening to the 10th Anniversary Live Concert on YouTube - it is simply the best.  On My Own by Lea Salonga is pretty amazing as well.


The reason I wrote this little bit of something isn't so that you would all sit at your computer and cry over music, but that you would see that He is worthy to be praised for making us musical.  Even if you (like me) do not play any instrument, you can (and should!) still "give thanks alway to God" for the "hope that is in you." 


2 Thessalonians 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks awaly to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asked you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: 
Emphasis added.

7 times is the phrase "make a joyful noise" mentioned in the Bible.  Note that it does not say "make an angelic noise", but a joyful one.  For a long time, I was hard on myself for not possessing a pretty voice; I thought that in order to praise God I must sound beautiful.  My parents always told us that it's not about how you sound as it is to Whom you are singing and praising.  I do not think that our loving Father would turn away someone just because their voices didn't fit into a certain category.  Oh, no, dear one.  God takes the already broken and makes them whole.  And those of you who do have beautiful voices and can play instruments, praise the Lord for gifting you with such a special talent.  I hope and pray that you are using this gift to honor Him!

Psalm 95:2 Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms. 
Emphasis added.


What about you?  Any of you ladies or gentlemen play instruments?  If so, which songs do you enjoy playing?




Blessings,


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2015 The Literary Heroine Blog Party

New moth, new verse

"What God hath joined..." Part 1