Seeing My Sin

I guess one thing about getting older and seeing more of the world (striving to be in and not of), I have come to see my great need for Christ.

This morning I listened to the whole book of Lamentations and I was struck by these verses:

Lam 3:47  Fear and a snare is come upon us, desolation and destruction.
Lam 3:64  Render unto them a recompence, O LORD, according to the work of their hands. 
Lam 3:65  Give them sorrow of heart, thy curse unto them. 
Lam 3:66  Persecute and destroy them in anger from under the heavens of the LORD.

From reading this, I realized something: mand has not changed.  We are so stubborn and refuse to hear anything that is good and right.  Listening to this hard book of the Bible, I am reminded of my own sin and how I naturally do not seek the Lord. 

James 4:8 comes to mind: Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. 

"Draw nigh" means to make near, that is, (reflexively) approach: - approach, be at hand, come (draw) near, be (come, draw) nigh.

Do we approach God or do we assume He is going to do all the approaching in the relationship?  Let that settle on your tongue for a moment.  Let it dissolve until it becomes part of your body. 

How does one draw nigh unto God?  (Here are just a few that came to my mind, there are many many more that I encourage you to search out in Scripture)

  • By daily putting to death our fleshly desires (Colossians 3:5) and
  • By clinging to that which is good and hating what is evil (Romans 12:9) 
  • By thinking on whatever things are true and honest (Philippians 4:8)
  • By walking in the Spirit (Galatians 3:5)
  • By living according to His word (Psalm 119:9)
  • Seeking first His kingdom (Matthew 6:33)
That is my goal.  This small list (though it may be small it is hard to live out DAILY) is filled with hope.  Hope that I am not a lost cause and that He is faithful and just (1 John 1:9) to FORGIVE all my shortcomings (for ALL fall short, Romans 3:23).  May this encourage you and give you hope too.

If you haven't listened to, or read the book, I encourage you to do so. I'll include the link if you want to give it a listen (click here).

This isn't the longest post but just a little something to wake you up this Monday morning.




Blessings,
Sarah🌸

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2015 The Literary Heroine Blog Party

New moth, new verse

"What God hath joined..." Part 1