"Be Still, My Soul"

During the month of July I've been memorizing the Catharina von Schlegel hymn, "Be Still, My Soul".

Well now its August and I'm pleased to say that I have the whole thing down (yay!!).  However, this post isn't about MY accomplishment, but rather a post about how great the Lord is (hummm, maybe that should be the next hymn I memorize; "How Great Thou Art"??), and how He used this beautiful song to open my eyes to see more of Him.


I am going to be 100% honest here:  At first when I heard about memorizing this hymn, I didn't think I was going to gain anything from it.  I thought that I'd just memorize it and that'd be it. "Another hymn down." Was my thinking.  How foolish, proud, and selfish that sounds! And O how the Lord humbles us!

I took each section and memorized a few lines a week.  The first week, and the first three lines of section 1 hit me like a ton of bricks!  "Ouch, God, that really hurt!"  But an ouch nonetheless, and one that was very much needed.

1. Be still, my soul; the Lord is on thy side;
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;                    He will NEVER leave me, or forsake me.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;                  The Lord will provide for ALL my needs!             
In every change He faithful will remain.                  
He is always faithful and will NEVER go away.
Be still, my soul; thy best, thy heavenly, Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

2. Be still, my soul; thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as He has the past.                            "For I know the plans I have for you..."
Thy hope, thy confidence, let nothing shake;                     He has always been in control of my life. 
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.                     No storm is too great for Him. He rules them.
Be still, my soul; the waves and winds still know          
His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below.


3. Be still, my soul, though dearest friends depart         Even when loved ones are gone, He is there.
And all is darkened in the vale of tears;                      Through hardships I can better see Him.
Then shalt thou better know His love, His heart,         He has given His precious Son for me!
Who comes to soothe thy sorrows and thy fears.       He is there to comfort me during hard times.
Be still, my soul; thy Jesus can repay                           
From His own fullness all He takes away.                    



4. Be still, my soul; the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,                
One day all my tears will be wiped away;       
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,        
all my fears and hurt will be no more.
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul; when change and tears are past,    
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.



Blessings,
Sarah




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2015 The Literary Heroine Blog Party

New moth, new verse

"What God hath joined..." Part 1