Humbled by sores

You may be thinking that the name of this post sounds really odd...but it isn't.

A few weeks two "little" sores popped up in my mouth (one on the left side of my mouth and the other on the right side of my tongue. Not the best places, I know!).

At first they didn't hurt, but then as the days past, they slowly began to hurt.  Like a lot.  I battled the little rebels for almost a whole week.  

I had a hard time talking - and if you know me then you know that I am a talkative person!  I felt like I was being deprived.  One of the ways I feel connected to others is through communication.  And yes, I tend to be very dramatic - just ask any of my family members and they'll tell you. *winks*  Not talking isn't that bad, but to me it was. 

If any of you (my 4 blog flowers :p) have ever gotten sores in your mouth, and they were so bad that you weren't able to speak, then you know just what I'm talking about.  It is plan painful! 

Then I got to thinking:  Maybe, just maybe the Lord was using this as a way to humble me and get me to...well, in a word, "hush up, and listen."  That get's right to it, now doesn't it? 




 Needless to say I'm listening...not very well, but I am trying.  I went and looked up the definition for "humble" and this is what I found:

The Bing definition for humble is:
  1. modest: modest and unassuming in attitude and behavior - this makes me think of how I'm dressing (is it modest?) and how I speak to others (am I letting my words fly too freely? Sadly yes for me)
  2. respectful: feeling or showing respect and deference toward other people - this makes me think of how I ought to treat/act towards others: respectful and with a serving attitude 
  3. lowly: relatively low in rank and without pretensions - I am of no high profession (confession: this sentence reminds me of Margaret Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility when at Mrs. Jenkins home, "He is of no profession." Random, I know. :p)  

The Merriam Webster's online dictionary definition is:
1: not proud or haughty : not arrogant or assertive - at times I am very proud, too proud of my accomplishments
2: reflecting, expressing, or offered in a spirit of deference or submission <a humble apology>




      3
a : ranking low in a hierarchy or scale : insignificant,unpretentious
   b: not costly or luxurious <a humble contraption>

For some reason my computer won't let me download the software for e-sword (which I LOVE) so I've been using www.blueletterbible.org  for all my Bible "finds".

I typed in the phrase "humble yourselves" and these are exact matches with the corresponding verses that came up: 


"Humble yourselves (1) to make low, bring low
a) to level, reduce to a plain
b) metaph. to bring into a humble condition, reduce to meaner circumstances
1) to assign a lower rank or place to
2) to abase
3) to be ranked below others who are honoured or rewarded
4) to humble or abase myself by humble living
c) to lower, depress
1) of one's soul bring down one's pride
2) to have a modest opinion of one's self
3) to behave in an unassuming manner
4) devoid of all haughtiness) in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up." James 4:10

"Say unto the king and to the queen, Humble yourselves, sit down (1) to dwell, remain, sit, abide
a) (Qal)
1) to sit, sit down
2) to be set
3) to remain, stay
4) to dwell, have one's abode
b) (Niphal) to be inhabited
c) (Piel) to set, place
d) (Hiphil)
1) to cause to sit
2) to cause to abide, set
3) to cause to dwell
4) to cause (cities) to be inhabited
5) to marry (give an dwelling to)
e) (Hophal)
1) to be inhabited
2) to make to dwell): for your principalities shall come down, even the crown of your glory." Jeremiah 13:18

"Humble yourselves (same as above) therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time." 1 Peter 5:6

Question to ponder: When I come before the throne of God, am I coming with a prideful heart?   

I encourage you to look these up!  For maybe, just maybe the Lord will use them in your life. =)  He most definitely used them in mine.  And my prayer is that I (or you) shan't easily forget His teachings. 

May the Lord bless you and keep you!

In His Ever Loving Hands,
~Sarah

  

Comments

  1. I thought for sure you were going to tie this into Be Still! Praying for you beloved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think of that! lol. I did write a post about "Be still" and I didn't stop to think about how that song has humbled me! *sighs* For another post now! ;-)
      Thank you for the prayers <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2015 The Literary Heroine Blog Party

New moth, new verse

"What God hath joined..." Part 1