"I am not skilled to understand" (Say what?)

Have any of you ever heard the song "My Savior My God" by Aaron Shust?  If not, here's a youtube link to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb8IpU7asRA

The fist time I heard this song was probably 5 or 6 years ago and it instantly became a favorite of mine. 

For those of you who just want the lyrics, here they are:


I am not skilled to understand
What God has willed, what God has planned
I only know at His right hand
Stands One who is my Savior

I take Him at His word and deed
Christ died to save me, this I read
And in my heart I find a need
Of Him to be my Savior

That He would leave His place on high
And come for sinful man to die
You count it strange so once did I
Before I met my Savior

My Savior loves, my Savior lives
My Savior's always there for me
My God He was, my God He is
My God He's always gonna be

My Savior loves, my Savior lives
My Savior's always there for me
My God He was, my God He is
My God He's always gonna be

Yes, living, dying, let me bring
My strength, my solace from this spring
That He who lives to be my King
Once died to be my Savior

That He would leave His place on high
And come for sinful man to die
You count it strange so once did I
Before I knew my Savior

My Savior loves, my Savior lives
My Savior's always there for me
My God He was, my God He is
My God He's always gonna be

(Repeat 6 more times)

What a beautiful song!  It doesn't matter how many times I listen to it it ALWAYS seems to open my eyes more and more to the truth about my Savior loving me so much that He died for me; He's alive and He IS coming back! 

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, [there] ye may be also. - John 14:3

This time listening to it, it brings to mind how little I actually understand.  I am in NO way an expert on life nor am I this "wise one" who should be giving out advice to ANYONE on ANY subject.  I can only share what I've been through and hope that it will help and encourage someone else. And here is what I've gleaned:

I will never fully understand what goes on in this world.  Yes, there is a basic knowledge of what happens that I am familiar with, but there are just some things that I'll never fully be able to grasp, or wrap my brain around.  And that is okay.  There is a peace in knowing that Someone much bigger than me is out there taking care of everything. 

This year my family has lost two dearly beloved uncles (my great-uncles).  One in February and one this past month.  What makes it harder is that I don't think either of them knew the Lord.  Why is that we feel guilt after someone dies? 

I know in the deepest parts of my being that God is Sovereign and that I will never fully and completely understand how or why God does the things He does.  "The Lord works in mysterious ways." (Not sure who said that)  "God is mysterious." (I know that line is from the movie Forest Gump) That He does, and that He is.  "He just is."  I heard that from someone a long time ago and can't remember who said it.  There is a lot of truth in it: "He just is."  Maybe I should be reminding myself of that more often...
However, besides the passing of my two dear uncles, this summer has been one of hardest for me (psychically, mentally, and spiritually), and yet, one of the most convicting;  I know that God is using this year to strengthen my trust and faith in Him, its just hard to accept sometimes.  My brain at times just doesn't want to accept it.

I easily forget the truth that He is good and His intentions towards me are good.  Yes He's going to test me - maybe He's going to test me more than I'd like Him to, but you know what?  He's doing it for MY good!  

I was here > http://www.blueletterbible.org/ looking up the phrase "He is good" and this verse popped up at me:

Good and upright [is] the LORD: therefore will he teach sinners in the way. - Psalm 25:8

"...he will teach sinners in the way."  Wow.  I HIGHLY encourage you to go and read all 22 verses of Psalm chapter 25.  

I saw this on Pinterest the other day and I just had to laugh because sometimes I feel like God is doing this with me!


Last bit here.

Just because I can't fully understand what God is doing in my life, does that mean I can't strive to better "learn" myself?  Absolutely not!  The Word of God says...

With him [is] wisdom and strength, he hath counsel and understanding. - Job 12:13

A wise [man] will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels: - Proverbs 1:5

My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee; So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, [and] apply thine heart to understandingYea, if thou criest after knowledge, [and] liftest up thy voice for understanding;If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as [for] hid treasures;Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.   - Proverbs 2:1-5 (I love this passage! I may have to do a post about this whole chapter later on.)

Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things. - 2 Timothy 2:7

And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, [even] in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. - 1 John 5:20

 "Understanding" appears 160 times in 156 verses in the KJV Bible!  Wow!  I didn't go through them all, but I encourage you to look some of them up (in the Old and New Testament). 

Hope that this was an encouragement to someone because today I needed to be reminded that He is ALWAYS good.  No matter what.


In His Ever Loving Hands,

~Sarah 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2015 The Literary Heroine Blog Party

New moth, new verse

"What God hath joined..." Part 1