Take joy in hardships

James 1:12
"Blessed is the man that endureth temptation:
for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, 
which the Lord hath promised to them that love him."
 KJV

"Happy the man who doth endure temptation,
because, becoming approved, he shall receive the crown of life
which the Lord did promise to those loving Him."
YLT 

I am reminded of James 1:12 which says it is a blessing to patiently endure.  Endure means "to remain".  To patiently remain where I am.  Why, O why is this easier said than done?  I know that I am not the only one who has hard days, but sometimes doesn't feel like you are having a hard month, maybe even a hard year?  His Word says "Happy the man who doth endure..."  Remember what that word means? To remain i.e. abide, not recede (go or move back or further away from a previous position) or flee.  To preserve: under misfortunes and trials to hold fast to one's faith in Christ.  To endure, bear bravely and calmly: ill treatments.

"But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold." Job 23:10 KJV

"For He hath known the way with me, He hath tried me -- as gold I go forth." YLT


He knows.  He knows the path that I shall take.  God knows the hardships that will take place in my life and He has promised to be right there with me.  
He knows the storms that lay ahead and He has already equipped me with the strength, grace, and courage needed - if I don't seem to have any of these things, then all I have to do is call upon His name and He will give me the strength, grace and courage needed. 

"...The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer." 2 Sam. 22:2

As gold.  When we are tried we shall come forth as gold - that is to say that when we are in the midst of this trial we thank God for His goodness (for all He does is good) and what He is bringing us through because, in the end, we "shall come forth as gold."

So...

James 1:2 & 3 say "My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience." KJV

"All joy count it, my brethren, when ye may fall into temptations manifold; 
knowing that the proof of your faith doth work endurance" YLT

Count it all joy.  We are to take joy in our trials.  
He is the Lighthouse in the midst of the storm: pulling us ever closer to Him.  Just like the story in God's Word with Christ walking on water. 

"And straightway Jesus constrained his disciples to get into a ship, and to go before him unto the other side, while he sent the multitudes away.  
And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone.
But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary.
And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea. 
And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.
But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.
And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water.
And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.
But when he saw the wind boisterous (strong, mighty), he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.
And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?
And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased." ~ Matt. 14:22-32

What happened when Peter fixed his sight on the situation, and not the Lord?  He began to sink.  So does this happens when we lose sight of the Maker of heaven and earth during a storm.  Keep your eyes on Him, for when you do you will never sink!



I pray that this encourages you - whoever you are reading this.  Just remember that nothing, absolutely nothing can happen to you, or go though your life without have first gone though His mighty hands.

In His Ever Loving Hands,
Sarah



Comments

  1. I needed this...just now particularly. I actually read it this morning and then ran across some difficult stuff in the blogging world this afternoon and was feeling like, "Please, please, please! Isn't there someone with a fresh word of assurance?" And then I thought of your post of this morning. :-) It's hard to even figure out the right words to say sometimes when trying to help someone...and *visiting* with you - a fellow young woman of God, who sees what she believes (even though we can none of us fully comprehend it) and steadfastly seeks to step out in faith - is such an encouragement!

    The way you put your ending sentence is wonderful. (I've actually copied it to my computer in order to remind myself. :-)) Thank you, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi,
      I do not even have the words to describe how much it blesses me to know that my little, insignificant posts are encouraging other women of God. :-) Oddly enough, I just wright to vent a lot of the time and mostly it comes out in the form of a blog post like this one.

      I am so glad that you like my signing off signature! Feel free to share that truth to as many as you please! :-)

      Delete
  2. Thank you dear saint for your timely exhortation! Nothing lasts forever, except eternity and just as you've stated, nothing happens in our lives without the Lord allowing it. I sometimes reflect on how 'painful' it must be to purify metal - again and again and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, I never thought that any of the things that I would write would encourage others. Never did I ever think that. I always wanted to write, but never knew "how". I guess this is God's way of showing me how I can: sharing my struggles, and faith (or lack thereof) with others. :-)
      That's a very good point, about the metal and it being purified many, many times! Thank you for that reminder!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2015 The Literary Heroine Blog Party

New moth, new verse

"What God hath joined..." Part 1