"Say that again, I can't hear You"

If your ears have ever been clogged then you'll understand the discomfort of it all.  My ears just so happen to clog once or twice a month - sometimes more.  Ugh!  It can be such a pain! I have a hard time hearing enough as it is (that's a long story that involves a volley-ball hitting me on one side of my face...oh wait, I just told the story...tehehe).   

When these things happen I become very frustrated.  Why? Well, because I like hearing things! Like any person, I like to listen to the sound of things.  Especially the sound of running water!  Like a river, that sound.  I LOVE it!  

This brought a new thought/question:  how well am I listening to God and His Word?  Or am I listening to it at all; taking any of what He is telling me though His Word to heart and applying to my life? 
I think sometimes God uses certain situations that force us to wake up and realize.  I'm not saying that God caused my ear to clog; I am not saying that all.  I am saying though that I can take this difficulty and use it to honor and glorify Him, and thank Him for His faithfulness to me.  I can use this as a time to dig deeper, to go "...further up...further in!" (Quote by C.S. Lewis from his book The Last Battle)

It's hard, that is to continue to listen.  I mean to sit down and really study His Word, but He is faithful.  A dear friend and blogger shared this convicting quote.  (You can read her blog here)

"Remember, it is not hasty reading, but serious meditating upon holy and heavenly truths, that make them prove sweet and profitable to the soul...It is not he that reads most, but he that meditates most, that will prove the choicest, sweetest, wisest and strongest Christian." - Thomas Brooks

This past week my prayer of thanks has been this: Thank You, Lord for never giving up on me.  It's true.  He never gives up; never leaves us to hang and figure it out on our own.  I just wanted to share this lesson that God has been teaching me. 
So my question you is:  what are you listening to?  

Blessings in His Holy Name,
Sarah













Comments

  1. That's a great quote, Sarah! And your ending reminded me of one of my favorite quotes from C.S. Lewis: “I cannot, by direct moral effort, give myself new motives. After the first few steps in the Christian life we realize that everything which really needs to be done in our souls can only be done by God.” That's one that (for years now!) has kept coming back to me. It's so true...and so convicting...and full of such comfort. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great quote, Heidi! I'll have to write it down and remember it. :-) It IS convicting and sometimes that can hurt - facing conviction, you know?

      Delete
    2. I agree! I think it's also really reassuring...something to grab onto. We don't have to be spinning our wheels. He is having His perfect way with us-working something in us beyond anything we can imagine. :-)

      Delete
    3. Amen, amen! And we shan't have any peace until we submit to His divine will. All the praise and honor go to Him for being faithful to the faithless - me!
      This is random, but have you ever heard the Casting Crowns song "At Your Feet"? It's been one of my favorites and it comes to mind as we go back and forth. :-) I'd like to know what you think of it. :-)

      Delete
    4. No, I haven't! Do you have the lyrics anywhere? :-)

      Delete
    5. Here are the lyrics.

      Here at Your feet, I lay my past down
      My wanderings, all my mistakes down
      And I am free

      Here at Your feet, I lay this day down
      Not in my strength, but in Yours I’ve found
      All I need, You’re all I need

      Jesus, Jesus, at Your feet
      Oh, to dwell and never leave
      Jesus, Jesus, at Your feet
      There is nowhere else for me
      There is nowhere else for me

      Here at Your feet, I lay my future down
      All of my dreams, I give to You now
      And I find peace, I find peace
      Here at Your feet, I lay my life down
      For You my King, You’re all I want now
      And my soul sings…

      ‘Cause I am free (here at Your feet)
      All I need (is at Your feet)
      I find peace
      We’re at Your feet
      We’re at Your feet

      And I am free (here at Your feet)
      All I need (is at Your feet)
      I find peace
      We’re at Your feet
      We’re at Your feet
      We’re at Your feet
      We’re at Your feet

      Here at Your feet
      I lay my life down

      Delete
  2. Wow...thanks, Sarah! Did you type all that up so I could read it? :-) I like that line about laying the future down-and all the dreams. That's where we find fulfillment. Giving the future and our desires to Him and trusting Him to do as He wills with them. And in the long run, trusting that whatever He does will be something way more glorious and incredible than anything we could ever have imagined. Hard to remember sometimes...which, come to think of it, is why music to sing with can help so much! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome! :-) No, I was lazy and copied and pasted it. :p That line is one of my favorites! Amen! It IS hard giving God everything; your hopes, dreams, and desires, especially if you have a desire to marry and have a family. That can be hard - in fact, it IS hard. Sometimes it's just hard to say "You are enough, Lord. Just You," But in saying that we ARE giving over everything - our everything and entrusting it to His care, and in that "we find peace."

      Thank you for going back and forth with me - I've really enjoyed it! God bless! :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2015 The Literary Heroine Blog Party

New moth, new verse

"What God hath joined..." Part 1