Try me

I recently read a very uplifting post by fellow blogger, Stephanie who blogs over at The Enchanting Rose. Click on the names to head on over to Stephanie's little place on the web - I know that you'll be blessed just as much as I have by her encouraging words of grace!


So. As I read this post God spoke to my dry heart with these verses that Stephanie shared:

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. 
Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. 
Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.  Psalm 51:7-10

What caught me was when the Psalmist said "...the bones which thou has broken may rejoice."

Psalm 139:23-24 says (Please don't think that I'm copying you, Stephanie!  I actually shared this verse on my FB page before I went and read your moving post)

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: 
And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. 

"...try me, and know my thoughts"

"Try"
bâchan
baw-khan'
A primitive root; to test (especially metals); generally and figuratively to investigate: - examine, prove, tempt, try (trial).

Right off the bat, the word "investigate" got my attention.  With this prayer we are asking God to investigate, and examine our thoughts.  I'm not sure about you, but asking God (whom, yes, already knows every single thought) to examine my thinking has me a little, well, nervous.  
Romans 3:10 reminds me that "...there is none righteous, no, not one." I know this deep within my heart, but the thought simply has me captivated.

How quickly I forget His word!  Even as I type this out I am amazed at His gentle, yet firm, reminders.  

"Purge me..."

"Purge"
châṭâ'
khaw-taw'
A primitive root; properly to miss; hence (figuratively and generally) to sin; by inference to forfeit, lack, expiate, repent, (causatively) lead astray, condemn: - bear the blame, cleanse, commit [sin], by fault, harm he hath done, loss, miss, (make) offend (-er), offer for sin, purge, purify (self), make reconciliation, (cause, make) sin (-ful, -ness), trespassive

As I read these powerful passages from the book of Psalm, I am reminded (again, by God) that it is good to thank Him for the painful things; it is good to praise Him not just after, but during the storm.
I don't know about you, but this seems to be my (almost) immediate response to a situation that may not be going the way I had hoped (all for my good, I'm sure): "Master, carest thou not that we perish?" (Mark 4:38)  How faithless of me!  The God of the universe loves me so much that He gave His precious Son's life for my sake.  Now, with that much love, don't you think that He can be trusted, even in the midst of trials and temptations; when the storms of life are raging hard against me?  I believe He can.
What was the response to that question?

"Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm." (Mark 4:39)

Peace.  Be at peace in the midst of the storm and there will be a great calm.  Maybe not the kind you're hoping for, but there shall be a peace that only comes from His great, outstretched hand.

"Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart." Psalm 26:2

Examine, try and prove me O Lord!  Use this hardship (or maybe you're not going through any at all!) to strengthen my faith in Thee; to deepen my trust in You and Your greatness. Cause this trial to push me ever closer to Thee.  Remind me that I shall come froth as gold; whiter than snow itself! The bones that You Yourself have caused to tremble will rejoice over Thee with gladness.

                                                     When I am tired my heart shall sing with gladness.

A little update:
I'm glad (but sad) to be back from a wonderful wedding weekend.  God has blessed our family with a beautiful, loving, God-fearing new sister whom I love and adore.  Thank You, O Lord, for this gift!  May my brother and his new bride strive to honor You in all things, but especially in their marriage.
I left for my brothers wedding feeling tired (there was SO much that had to be done before we left for this wedding!), but have come away filled to the brim with blessings!  I look forward to seeing how God uses Joseph and Emily for His divine will. :)

"...my cup runneth over." Psalm 23:5

Blessings,
Sarah


Comments

  1. Good morning, dear Sarah! Here you were blessed by my post and now you have greatly blessed me with your post :) I was so encouraged by the way you broke down the verses and words and explained in detail what the Psalm says. You made God's Word come alive! :)

    Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful post - you have given me much to think upon today. May the Lord richly bless you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie!
      Thank you for such kind (and encouraging) words - they were received and sweetly tasting. Your beautiful words have stayed with me for the past couple of days and I have greatly enjoyed them. God has given you a gift with words.
      I am blessed to have such wonderful blogging friends!
      May God bless YOU this lovely evening!
      Hugs,
      Sarah

      Delete
  2. Dearest Sarah...thabk you for your words of encouragement today! Dear sister, I needed to hear this! Sometimes the storms of life are more than overwhelming...we don't understand why we have to go through hardship! But our Lord is ever there and we can lean on Him!
    Thank you and bless you!
    I am so glad the wedding was a blessed experience! How beautiful it must have been and I am sure you are very excited to see your family grow in this lovely way!
    Much love in Christ!
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Kelly-Anne,
      To God be the glory for using my little bit of something to touch and encourage your soul. It's amazing how God reveals certain things at certain times, is it not? And with this He revealed to me that I must lean 100% on Him; I must be dependent solely on Him. Also, with the phrase "the bones
      which thou hast broken may rejoice" really hit hard with me. God does the "breaking" and with that I can rejoice because He loves me so very much, I know that every prick and every pain is all for my good - not for my bad. Does that make sense?

      Yes, the wedding was simply lovely and I hope to post pictures as soon as I can! :)
      Blessings in the Lord Jehovah,
      Sarah

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your thoughts, Sarah. You once again touched my heart. I especially liked your comments on peace in the midst of the storm. The calm you spoke of reminds me of the "gentle and quiet spirit" that 1 Pet 3:4 tells us is very precious in the sight of God. The word "quiet" means still, tranquil or undisturbed from without. I must admit that my "storm" right now is simply the busyness of life. It is made up of all good things, but a lot of them. I must take time to focus on God and His love and provision for me, trusting Him for all that I need. Each day, I must ask God to prioritize my day. Each day, I must rely solely on Him. For me, there is no other way for true peace in good or in bad times. I love reading your blogs!

    Love and Blessings,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Ellis,
      Thank you for your encouraging words of wisdom and grace - also for the verse. :)
      Blessings and hugs,
      Sarah

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2015 The Literary Heroine Blog Party

New moth, new verse

"What God hath joined..." Part 1