My childhood in songs

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has ever heard of Raffi.  You know, Baby Beluga?

The other day I was looking on YouTube for some baby songs to learn and sing to my niece - I wanted something a bit more different than "Rock a Bye Baby" but not too modern that it wasn't still soft and delicate.

Before I share the sweet little song that I'm learning, I must tell you how much I ADORE Raffi and his songs!  I grew up listening to him sing Peanut Butter Sandwich, Brush Your Teeth, Baby Beluga, C-A-N-A-D-A, Frere Jacques, and many more.  His voice was (and is, he still puts on concerts!) very soft and soothing to listen to.  I literary cold fall asleep listening to him sing.  With that, I wanted one of his songs to sing to my niece.  I don't have a singing voice at all, but at that young tender age they don't seem to mind. *winks*



My brother and his wife had a western wedding and they both are very horsey.  So when I came across Listen to the Horses I just knew it was "perfect".   For a listen, click here.   And for those who just want the lyrics, here they are (but I must say that in order to have to full experience, one really should listen to the song).

Listen to the horses clipping clopping
Hoof beats everywhere never stopping
Gonna ride my palomino, ride him to the fair 

Listen to the horses clipping clopping
Hoof beats everywhere never stopping

Gonna ride my palomino, ride him to the fair
Gonna ride my palomino, ride him to the fair

I know that the lyrics in the link say cavalhinos, but actually he is saying palomino.
And that song is from his CD Quite Time - songs for a pause, a cuddle, or a nap.  

Other than that, is't this a precious song?  I feel in love with it and have since learned it.  My sister plays the guitar and is teaching me the cords (I'm not musical either, so this might pose as a challenge).

Not only was Raffi a big part of my early years, so was Michael Card and his beautiful music.  Have any of you heard his song Come to the Cradle?  It's simply dreamy and precious.  Click here to listen.  I can't seem to find the lyrics to this one, so I guess you'll just have to listen to it. *winks*

Now if you would so kind as you share some of YOUR favorite childhood songs, I would love to hear them! :)

Blessings to each of you!
Sarah

Comments

  1. Most of my favorite childhood songs were whichever ones my parents would sing to me.
    "Good night my Father" was an all-time favorite, followed closely by "Bittergreen" and "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" and "The Minstrel of the Dawn" and "The Pony Man" all by Gordon Lightfoot, as well as "El Paso," and "Big Iron" and "The Master's Call" all by Marty Robbins. And lots of hymns, my mom would play the piano most nights and we'd all stand around her and sing whatever she was playing. "Shout to the North and the South," "The Trees of the Field," a couple of others whose titles escape me... and Christmas carols. Christmas carols all year long. And any song in the original Care Bears movie (we had the entire soundtrack (with all the dialogue and everything) on an old LP (at the time it was a new LP... LOL))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Jenelle! What great songs - and memories! How wonderful that you and your family sang hymns while your mom played the piano - that is truly special. :)
    I've not heard of Gordon Lightfoot before (time to look him up!:) or any of his songs that you mentioned. I have heard of Marty Robbins and "El Paso" - my brothers LOVE his songs, but unfortunately they played them SO much that I grew up (really I was in my teens) with a great dislike for any of his music. :'(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2015 The Literary Heroine Blog Party

New moth, new verse

"What God hath joined..." Part 1