Who holds my comfort?

I know that it's been a while since I last posted - sorry about that.  My family has been recovering from the same sickness that seems to be going around everywhere.  Hopefully, we're on the end tail of it now.  Also, my yoga training has kept me busy as well.  It's good to "see" you stop here, though!  I've missed ya'll.

I like food.  Like a lot.  Let's face it, my culture is surrounded with food!
Not long ago, though, I came across an article, How Comfort Food Poses As Spiritual Food.  I read it and had some major conviction.

You how when you're doing something wrong, you know it's wrong but you keep doing it?  Well, I've always felt that way about the way I deal/handle food.  I love food.  I cake care to make it, to share it.  I look forward to it daily and get excited when I can smell something wonderful brewing in the kitchen.  In the moment, food gives me what I "want".  It fills a desire - but only for a fleeting moment.  I let it take center stage in my life and that's bad - like really bad.


"The reason we struggle with regular time in God's Word is that we are investing in false comforts." (from the blog post)

I know that putting food before my God is wrong, and yet I continue to do it!  This blog post really helped me to see the error of my ways; to stop before I take another bite and think.

I am trying to ask myself whenever I find food in front of me, Why am I eating?  Is it because it's mealtime, or is it because I'm bored - even upset at something?  What am I hungry for?  I should be hungry for God's Word - but am I?  Do I search Him out like for a fine treasure? (Proverbs 2:4,5)

O Lord, help me when I am weak.  Lead me not into temptation! Show me my true self so that I might run from it and turn to You - the One who is my true comforter. Amen.

How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!  - Psalm 119:103

I know both how to be abased (bring low), and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. - Philippians 4:12

What about you?  Is this something you struggle with?

Bathed in Grace,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2015 The Literary Heroine Blog Party

New moth, new verse

"What God hath joined..." Part 1