Snow, New Mexico, and the Grand Canyon {Part 1}

I feel like every time I want to get back into being "normal" with my blogging, life happens and it throughs me for a loop!

Since my last post, lots has happened.  I am an aunt again (can't remember if I told you that or not, ha!), I visited two new states (New Mexico and Arizona), saw the Grand Canyon, saw snow, stayed at a beautiful camp in Arizona, met amazing people, and became certified to teach yoga with Holy Yoga!

Finally, I am here, writing out a fun new post for you to enjoy (I hope).  If I had a word to describe my time out west, it would be breathtaking.  Every little "new" thing that my eyes beheld, simply took me aback with its beauty - God's beauty that He sprinkled on with such delicate and thoughtful manner.

I took so many pictures (and not nearly as many as I had intended) that this post had to be split into two (maybe even three) parts!  So make yourself a cup tea (or coffee), sit back and enjoy this little getaway.

 Enjoy, mio amico!

First new state:



I don't know what I was expecting to see when we crossed the border into NM, but it wasn't what I saw.  And yes, I know that we were driving along the highway and stuff and that we didn't see nearly half of what the state has to offer, but still.  There were times when I felt like I was in a Western/John Wayne movie.  I kept my eyes on the horizon, waiting to see a band of horses carrying cowboys. Because we drove mostly through the state (on our way up to Arizona) in the night, I didn't see any of this until our way down.  Now the snow, that we saw on our way up.  And I know that for you northerners, this much snow isn't a big deal, but for this southern gal (even though I grew up in New England!) it was - especially in May!  So, I awoke on the morning (it was still dark out; 4-something) of May 1st to so much snow falling in New Mexico that even the big tractor trailers were pulling over and stopping.  After driving for a bit, my dad pulled into a Denny's parking lot and we slept until we decided it was time for breakfast (note: we're early risers/eaters so this was at like 5:30 maybe 6 am).

Seeing this, I was regretting my Florida shoes.

I took this while still in the restaurant.
Brrr!! And no, those are NOT UFO's (seems fitting, right?) in the sky;

it's simply the light reflecting off the glass door.
I get it.  This is not a lot of snow (please don't make fun of me)
but for me, it was crazy to be seeing this in May!

I should have gotten a picture of my outfit - total Floridian. 

See that face?  Excitement, wonder, and straight-up exhaustion!

Not sure if you can see, but there is a great big lake behind that
pine tree.  The water was a piercing blue that took my

 breath away eve from the car.
It really did feel like we were in a western...


Second new state (and my personal favorite):


After driving for what seemed like forever (ok, ok, I know that's probably a bit dramatic, but it was a very. long. drive.), we finally got to our destination - the great state of Arizona!  What I really liked about this state was all the Native American stores.  I've got a little bit of Native American in me so I kind of felt like I was getting in touch with some of my ancestors.

I know that this isn't the best picture, but I wanted to share it
anyway...look at all the whiteness!

Side note: I think this still may be New Mexico...
Again, not the best, but still pretty. 

These "hills" blew me away each time. 


All of the sights of the hill and the plain
Fly as thick as driving rain;
And ever again, in the wink of an eye,
Painted stations whistle by
~ Robert Louis Stevenson

In the middle of "nowhere" sits a lonely house.
I remember asking my mom, "Where do these people go
to shop?"  There was very little out there.
Then the snow starts...again...

I can't remember if this was the exit to the Grand Canyon or not.
When we got to the little town (only about an hour and a half away from the Grand Canyon!), we couldn't check into the hotel until 2 that afternoon (major bummer when you've been traveling All.Night.Long.), so we decided to go see the beautiful Grand Canyon. :) I knew it was going to be beautiful, but I until I saw it I didn't realize just how beautifully breathtaking it was.  We walked up to the rails and in a moment I noticed how small I actually was in God's grand creation.

Walking around; trying to figure out where to go.
And don't let the "sunshine" fool you - it was windy and COLD!

Walking...

...

I was so excited about everything that I almost (I practiced great
restraint) ran up to the rails.  I may have walked faster than my parents...
Almost there...
*forgets to breathe*
Can you believe what this guy is doing?!  I guess some
will do anything for a good picture.

Thou, even thou, art LORD alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee. ~ Nehemiah 9:6
The vastness of it all is simply (and yet, not so simple)
mind-blowing.  God made this!  He created this beauty (and more!) 
in 6 short days and I find it hard to trust Him. 
For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word. ~ Isaiah 66:2

At one point you could actually see snow on the hills, way
over in the distance.
A hidden valley is the greatest of finds.




While walking back to the car, we saw this "little" lady -
just walking around in the open. 


After that (or maybe it was before...) we walked around town;
going in and out of the small shops.
Paperweight, anyone?

I'm not sure if these were once real or not.
*shudders*


Stay tuned for Part 2!



Blessings,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2015 The Literary Heroine Blog Party

New moth, new verse

"What God hath joined..." Part 1