Thanks in advance

"For I do now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ." Galatians 1:10

Who am I trying to please? Who am I aiming to honor? Man or God? 

Over the course of this year the Lord has been working in my heart and revealing areas of my life that I have not been honoring Him. He has shown me through getting a new job that I have been seeking the approval of man and not seeking to live a life that is pleasing to the Lord. 

Instead of me trying to run away from something that makes me shift in my seat, I am learning (though the discipline is hard) to be content where He has placed me and to thank Him for giving me this opportunity to grow in grace, patience and faith.

"Just start thanking God in advance because no matter what is about to happen, you already know that God is in charge. You are not adrift in a sea of chaos." Elisabeth Elliot 

I came across this quote by one of my favorite people today while cleaning through some of my papers. It struck me with a deep notion and caused me to question certain areas of my life. Do I thank God in advance? As I sat and pondered the quote, my response was a shameful "no". I thought to myself "Why on earth would I feel the need to thank God in advance for something that hasn't happened yet?" Then I read the quote again. God is in charge. He is in complete control of what has happened and what hasn't take place yet. As a born again Christian, I know that God is in control of every little thing that comes to pass in my life. And yet, while I know that, do I truly know it? Again, I failed to make that connection. It's shameful of me to admit that I have not thanked God for what has not taken place yet because part of me is scared that some of the things that I want to happen, may in fact, not happen. 

Lord, teach me to let go of that fear. Remind me of 2 Timothy 1:7, which says "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."

Lord, remind me that there is no place for fear in Your presence. I can rest and trust in knowing that You hold it all. "My times are in thy hands..." Psalm 31:15a, "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear" 1 John 4:18

I need to be continually reminded that God has it all under control; He has the whole world in His mighty hands. Lord, remove this foolish assumption of mine that I can actually force an outcome that would be unknown to You. Teach me to lay it all at the foot of the cross and to leave it there. Whatever has been given (or not yet given), teach me to surrender it with joy.

As I go about the rest of my day and the rest of my week, I want to be reminded to give thanks in all things (1 Thessalonians 5:18)...not just the things I can see.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2015 The Literary Heroine Blog Party

New moth, new verse

"What God hath joined..." Part 1