Waiting on the Oven

I like to bake. Actually, I more than like it, I take joy in baking foods for not just my family, but also for dear friends. So, it's fitting that I write a post using baking terms. 

When I want to bake something, let's say blueberry muffins (a favorite of mine), they need to bake at 450 degrees. While I am putting all the other ingredients together, it make sense to preheat the oven to the assigned temperature and have it ready for me when I have the batter in the pans. 

Call it poor time management or neglect of reading through the directions clearly, but there are times when I "forget" to preheat the oven. What happens then? Well, because I don't discipline myself enough to actually be still and read trough the instructions, the end results may vary. Instead of waiting for the oven to preheat, I will put the muffins in a stone-cold oven and let them (with the oven) come up to the proper temperature. Again, instead of just waiting for the oven to preheat, I become impatient and want to get the job done. What's the issue with this, you may ask? The outcome of the muffins will differ if they go in stone-cold verses at the right temperature. 

As I was finishing up a prayer journal entry the other morning, I began mulling over this quote by Elisabeth Elliot:

"To want what we don't have is impatience, for one thing, and it is to mistrust God. Is He not in complete control of all circumstances, events, and conditions? If some are beyond His control, He is not God."

As with all of her quotes, it caused me to sit and ponder deeply. Do I trust God fully and completely with my wait? I can recall from childhood my parents telling me to be patient as I waited for something that wasn't coming quick enough. I didn't like being told to wait. "It's too hard!" I would say, "I want it now."

I guess I haven't changed much as an adult. 

I tend to glance at my life and quickly make a list of what I think I am lacking. Upon making that list, I become impatient and I want to rush ahead and get the fast-food version of my desires. The quicker version isn't always the best. Good things take time. Take the branches of a mighty oak. One cannot expect the shade of those branches to bring relief to your sun kissed skin without it having grown over time. Again, good things take time. If there is something that we really want, it's normally a good thing to be still and wait for it - even though this can be extremely challenging! It can feel good in the moment to act on impulse but I believe there is so much wisdom in becoming disciplined to wait well! Don't get me wrong, there is a place for taking leaps of faith. We are called to be bold! However, I think there needs to be a healthy balance of taking leaps of faith AND resisting the temptation to act on emotions, i.e, impulse. 

It's funny because, logically, I get this. It's the spiritual part that takes time to wear upon my heart. The Lord knows what I long for, He sees this desire and has not forsaken me. Again, I know this, at times it's just so incredibly hard to accept it...especially when it feels like I have to remind myself of this over and over again. 

I remember when I read the Pilgrims Progress there was this one quote that stuck me me. Christian, when asking how long the journey would take, his companion would tell him, "Sooner than you think and longer than you wish."

How's that for a quote? "Sooner than you think and longer than you wish." I've started using that with my 7 nieces and 1 nephew. My prayer is that I would be reminded to be still, wait on God, don't rush ahead and try to have Him all figured out. 

"And having food and raiment let us be therewith content." 1 Timothy 6:8

Do I have a full belly? Yes. Am I clothed? Yes. Then I am content. Note: this doesn't take away my desires, it does put them into perspective though.

"But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it." Romans 8:25

While I wait for the oven to heat up, I must be patient. 


What about you? 

What is your current wait?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2015 The Literary Heroine Blog Party

New moth, new verse

"What God hath joined..." Part 1