O Love that Wilt Not Let Me Go - Hymn for February

Happy February, everyone!


I hope each of you are well and striving to honor the Lord with your thoughts, words, and deeds. 

If you read my post last month, I shared that I was trying to commit a hymn to memory. If you didn't happen to read that, click here! 

Since it's a new month, that means a new song to learn! *shrieks with excitement*

The beautiful hymn I am attempting to learn is called, O Love That Will Not Let Me Go, and it is written by George Matheson. If you want to learn more about him, click here.

O Love that will not let me go, I rest my weary soul in thee. I give thee back the life I owe, that in thine ocean depths its flow may richer, fuller be.

O Light that follows all my way, I yield my flick'ring torch to thee. My heart restores its borrowed ray, that in thy sunshine's blaze its day may brighter, fairer be.

O Joy that seeks me through pain, I cannot close my heart to thee. I trace the rainbow through the rain, and feel the promise is not vain, that morn shall tearless be. 

O Cross that liftest up my head, I dare not ask to fly to thee. I lay in dust, life's glory dead, and from the ground there blossoms red, life that shall endless be. 


It's amazing to me and how God can use something as simple as a hymn to snap me back to reality. As I sing each line and attempt to stay in the relative key, I am brought low in awe and wonder: "I rest my weary soul in Thee...My heart restores its borrowed ray...I trace the rainbow through the rain...O Cross that liftest up my head..." 

How profound are those words? The bring me such comfort and conviction! Each line whispers to a deep, tucked away cove in my heart, reminding me of the Great and Loving God who has never left me nor forsaken me (Hebrews 13:5).

If I could pick a favorite line, it would be (at least for today), "I trace the rainbow through the rain..."

The view from where I sit has been rather grey and "rainy". God in His mercy and love has blessed me with this hymn. It brings me back to the reality that He is with me in the rainstorms, holding His umbrella of love over me. 

May this soothe thy weary soul as well and may you bask in the Glory of our Lord.

~Sarah


Comments

  1. Very encouraging. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read! Blessings!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for sharing encouraging hymn and reflection! God is soo faithful to meet us in our need and lift up our heads!

      Delete
    3. Amen to that! Thank you for reading my post! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2015 The Literary Heroine Blog Party

New moth, new verse

"What God hath joined..." Part 1